Hydrocodone is an opioid pain medication. Zohydro ER and Hysingla ER are extended-release forms of hydrocodone that are used for around-the-clock treatment of severe pain.
Important Information Hydrocodones
Hydrocodones can slow or stop your breathing. Never use this medicine in larger amounts, or for longer than prescribed. Do not crush, break, or open an extended-release pill. Swallow it whole to avoid exposure to a potentially fatal dose.
Hydrocodone may be habit-forming, even at regular doses. Never share this medicine with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a place where others cannot get to it.
Before Taking This Medicine (Hydrocodones )
You should not use hydrocodone if you are allergic to it, or if you have:
- Severe asthma or breathing problems; or
- A blockage in your stomach or intestines.
To make sure hydrocodone is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- Any type of breathing problem or lung disease;
- A head injury, brain tumor, or seizures;
- Drug or alcohol addiction, or mental illness;
- Urination problems;
- Liver or kidney disease;
- Problems with your gallbladder, pancreas, or thyroid; or
- A heart rhythm disorder called long QT syndrome.
If you use opioid medicine while you are pregnant, your baby could become dependent on the drug. This can cause life-threatening withdrawal symptoms in the baby after it is born. Babies born dependent on opioids may need medical treatment for several weeks.